Ipogeo degli Aureli
The Ipogeo degli Aureli is one of the most important
funerary complexes of imperial Rome.
The lowest part is executed in tufa, while the area
near the ground floor is composed of brickwork. The hypogeum is
probably a third century A.D. structure. Located 200m from Porta
Maggiore, the hypogeum was rediscovered in 1919. The lower part
of the top floor, made of Severian bricks, still remains. Upon entering
through the ancient portal, one can find two arcosoli in the walls
and graves, dug in a subsequent period, in the floor.
The more-damaged back wall has a scene of the original
sin on the left, and the creation of the first man on the right;
a city and four figures, probably the evangelists, are represented
on the side walls. There are two cubicles downstairs; one is completely
frescoed, with the name of the grave owners (the Aureli) written
in the floor mosaics.
The wall paintings are very interesting. The principal
frescoes represent eleven figures wearing togas, while the vault
decorations depict various scenes. On the left, a bearded man stands
reading a scroll with a flock of sheep at his feet. The successive
scene shows a man on horseback galloping alongside a temple; he
is followed by a group of figures, while he meets another group
as they leave a city. On another wall, a man in a white tunic seems
to be in an attitude of judgement, while characters dressed in white
stand by the city door, completing the scene.